Sunday, June 27, 2010

YAY! for Chocolate!!


The June 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Dawn of Doable and Delicious. Dawn challenged the Daring Bakers’ to make Chocolate Pavlovas and Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse. The challenge recipe is based on a recipe from the book Chocolate Epiphany by Francois Payard.

They were pretty good.

I made my chocolate meringues (they weren't really like pavlova at all) a day ahead and they kept really well. I made homemade ricotta with whole milk instead of doing mascarpone cheese because I don't like it. The ricotta beat really smooth and was okay for a mousse. I think I prefer the chocolate mousse I usually use better, but just because it takes less work.
I made my sauce with a caramel creme anglaise, which I make by using pre-caramelized sugar in a regular creme anglaise recipe.
For pre-caramelized sugar just cook sugar on the stove until light amber, pour out onto a silpat to cool and blitz in the food processor until finely ground. Use an equal weight to replace plain sugar in any custard recipe (makes great ice cream) or for easier brule making.

I found that they were better an hour after assembling than they were right away. The mousse softens the meringue so it's not so chewy and tough.

I might make them again, but I'm not sure.

1 comment:

  1. Yes the recipe produces meringues not the classic pav but still the challenge is interesting and is a chocolate delight. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete