Saturday, August 27, 2011

YAY! for Candy!!!


The August 2011 Daring Bakers’ Challenge was hosted by Lisa of Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drive and Mandy of What the Fruitcake?!. These two sugar mavens challenged us to make sinfully delicious candies! This was a special challenge for the Daring Bakers because the good folks at http://www.chocoley.com offered an amazing prize for the winner of the most creative and delicious candy!

The first candy I made was taffy, from this recipe.


I made root beer and orange with citric acid for tartness.


The second candy I made was dulce de leche bonbons, with Ikea ice cube trays as molds.

I cooked down sweetened condensed milk until thick and caramel colored and let it cool while I tempered chocolate.
Then I put the chocolate in the mold, scraped, and let it drip and set. Then I put in the filling and topped with more chocolate.

The third candy I made was a homemade mounds bar.
I mixed together:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick softened butter
2 14-oz bags sweetened shredded coconut

and chilled for a couple of hours in the fridge. Then I scooped (with my #70 scoop) and shaped into rounds, and chilled again until it was firm (overnight)

Then I dipped using my special dipping forks:
They're just Wilton forks, but I bent them to the angle I prefer.
Then I rigged my special chocolate dipping tool:
Yep, it's a rice cooker. I like that I can turn it on to melt, and take the chocolate off to cool, and put it on Keep Warm to keep the chocolate fluid. I couldn't find my chocolate thermometer, so I used the infrared instead.
The last candy I made was a gummy candy that starts with Jello
Once again I used my handy-dandy Ikea ice molds. Next time I would use less gelatin, as it had a really firm texture.

4 comments:

  1. I've been salivating over your coconut candies, and your gadgets! I definitely need to make another trip to IKEA... Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your coconut, dulce de leche chocolates and fish jellies (huge swedish fish fan) - love that you used ice cube trays as chocolate molds- loved that you 'rigged' your dipping fork (will do the same to mine). Covet your laser thermometer. Thanks so much for taking part in our challeng!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the challenge. Love the sound of the "mounds" candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you're fishes. Great idea, that 's one my childeren will love.

    ReplyDelete