Wednesday, January 27, 2010

YAY! for the Olympics!!!


The January 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Lauren of Celiac Teen. Lauren chose Gluten-Free Graham Wafers and Nanaimo Bars as the challenge for the month. The sources she based her recipe on are 101 Cookbooks and www.nanaimo.ca.
I chose to make my crackers with actual graham flour (any other way would be a "graham-style cracker" rather than an actual graham cracker)

I made a peanut butter filling for the Nanaimo Bars by using half a recipe of Reese's Bars, so the recipe for the bars was:

Bottom Layer
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
5 T unsweetened cocoa
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup peanuts, roasted unsalted, finely chopped
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

Melt unsalted butter, sugar and cocoa in top of a double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in
crumbs, nuts and coconut. Press firmly into an parchment lined 8 by 8 inch pan.

Middle Layer
1 C graham cracker crumbs
1/2 C butter, melted
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1/2 C peanut butter

Add cracker crumbs to melted butter. Then add sugar and peanut butter. Mix well. Spread on top of Nanaimo layer.

Top Layer
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
2 T butter
Melt together, spread on top of peanut-butter layer.

Chill bars until firm. Lift the parchment to pull bars out of the pan to cut into squares.

8 comments:

  1. yum
    I love peanut butter, your nanaimo bars looks deliciously good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed a couple people chose a peanut butter filling. I'll have to try that, sounds great. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely job on my challenge! How fun to make them with graham flour (I can't use it, but I'm sure it's wonderful!) =D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The peanut butter filling sound heavenly. I definitely will be using that at some point for something I certain... Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! I went with the traditional nanaimo bar and really did not care too much for the uber sweet butter filling. Although, if I would've made this version of yours I would have likely eaten the entire tray in a day!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW that Reese's bar recipe sounds like it was a great filling for your Nanaimo Bars--well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished looking at the rest of your blog--which culinary school did you attend? I went to the CCA in San Francisco. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love peanut butter! What a great alternative! I should have done that, but it could have proved dangerously delicious!

    ReplyDelete